Sarah Pointet

An interview
with Sarah Pointet


Its been a crisp and sunny day at the Cross, not too busy, not too quiet. In the lull of the afternoon, wishing for a siesta, I carefully ask to borrow a staff member for a quick 10 with me. Sarah P, is the one. Its our first time, and its magical. The sun is out, birds are-a chirpin' and I feel tingles - potentially due to the brisk air, but I insist to myself that this is a beautiful moment. 

H: Alright, cool. How many cows are there in Canada?
[Guys, I'm no nonsense. Right into it.]
S: How many cows? Ahhhhh... 20... 50 million?
H: Good guess! A penguin walked through that door there, wearing a top hat
S: What's that?
H: A top hat, so like a...
[I draw a top hat for her - at this stage she refers to it as "just a hat". Next level shit right here.]
H: Okay, so what does he say, and why is he here?
S: The penguin! Just a hat... so he... he wants to drink a... Iced Chocolate. And he says "It's a bit too warm in here".
H: Shit alright! You're right, he does say that. What song best describes your work ethic?
S: Ooh...
[Sarah looks far into the distance, its a meaty question, I would too.]
S: Mm mm mm... So I'm stressed and I put myself under pressure so it has to be something stressful, and a bit energetic so I would go for... a song by the Beatles? How does it go?
[She hums the tune, which was supposed to be part two of the question. K.]
H & S: Hard Day's Night? By the Beatles?
H: That's the one!
Next question, how would you rate your memory? 10/10, you remember everything?
S: Ooh, no, I'm really bad with my memory actually - 4/10.
H: Really? Interesting, interesting.
[I hope my efforts of appearing to know what I'm doing here is paying off.]
If I came to your house for dinner, what would you make me?
S: So... depends on what you are, vegetarian, vegan. Because I'm vegetarian, I would say I'd do some coral lentils, with pan fried seasonal veg. So parsnip, carrots and silverbeet...
[I exclaimed so loudly. The voice clip of this should be the new Wilhelm Scream.]
S: ... cooked with soy sauce, bit of garlic butter. Aaaaand poached eggs. That will be the main.
[Now I'm wishing I could be invited for dinner. This chick is legit.]

S: I love it, I love poached eggs! I'm trying to cut off eggs, but I love it.
H: My wife and I are going on vacation, where would you recommend?
S: So your wife... vacation... where would I... I would say go somewhere in New Zealand! Because people in New Zealand don't know New Zealand!
[A very astute observation. I know for a fact that I've not been to where she is about to suggest.]
S: I would go for the whole week to Spirits Bay, the northern point of the North Island. Next to Cape Reinga, you have this massive beach called Spirits Bay. There'd a beautiful campground there, you can do some good hiking, chillin, swimming...
H: Well, alright! Have you ever stolen a pen from work?
[I like to give my subjects a false sense of security. She looks at me, with uncertainty as to what kind of bitch I really must be. This quickly turns into a cheeky smile.]
S: ...
S: Oh yea. Ohh yea, definitely.
H: Pick two famous people to be your parents.
[Because I'm quickfire, like that.]
S: Ummm.... So I will go for... Emma Watson, because she is a feminist and is really into women's rights. And then... I will pick... a French... am I going for him...? Alright I will go for him. A French politician, Mélenchon.
[She spells this for me]
S: He is like a left, is pretty like... 
H: Liberal?
S: Yes, but not communism.
H: Nice, nice. Good picks. Alright, what kitchen utensil would you be?
S: A whisk.
[Nice and easy.]
H: Good answer. Very French.
S: I know!!
[We both chuckle.]
H: Um, how would you direct someone else on how to cook an omelet? Like, how would you tell me to do it?
S: So you take a pan, you put it on the gas. Put some oil in it. What you need to do is you need to see smoke. You have to see some smoke coming out of the pan, alright? And in a bowl you mix up, like, three eggs? Salt and pepper. And then you throw the egg in the pan and you move it like that, kind of like that.

[Some scraping motion occurs. She like to talk with her hands for the culinary portion.This is the beginning of an exciting friendship I will build upon food.]
S: And once you think that its all sort of cooked, you leave it for a minute. Put some cheese in the middle, and then you wanna turn it over and put it on the plate! Turn it over.. yes, and its just a perfect French omelet. You really need to make sure that your pan is piping hot.

A whimsical individual and a great first interaction. Now to get myself that dinner invite...



Comments

Popular Posts